Saturday, November 19, 2011

Master analysis on Belka-Neumeyer lines

In a previous post ( New exciting Belka-Neumeyer line ) I discussed a line of the Belka-Neumeyer gambit, occuring after 1.d4 Nf6 2.Nc3 d5 3.e4 dxe4 4.f3 exf3 5.Nxf3 Bf5 6.Ne5 e6 7.g4 Be4 8.Nxf7 Kxf7 9.Nxe4 Nxe4 10.Qf3+ Nf6 11.Qxb7 Nxg4 12.Qf3+ Nf6 13.Qxa8 Nd5

I indicated that white could settle matters with 14.h4. I showed this move to an IM friend the other day. This master analysed the position for some time and indicated that black was better ! Of course, I was astonished, but my IM friend was formal - he would most likely draw this position with black in an over-the-board-game as he suggested 14...Qf6 or 14...Be7.

He explained to me that white has given away the initiative for the exchange in a wide open position and white will have to choose very precise defending move for the remainder of the game - not the kind of stratgey the Blackmar Diemer gambiteer likes.

Returning home after this bitter lesson, I realised my IM friend was more than right. The Blackmar Diemer gambiteer should strive for the initiative and force black in a difficult position, at the expense of material ! The suggested line just does the opposite !!!

It is really good to get some IM or GM reality check from time to time when analysing gambit lines !

No comments:

Post a Comment