Saturday, March 17, 2012

When one piece is not enough

I played a nice, short game yesterday evening as I crashed my opponent in a fierce Smith Morra. That's a just punishment for refusing to play my Blackmar Diemer gambit.

Guido De Bouver - Jan Staes.

1.d4 c5 2.e4
I used to play the Smith Morra for years, so I do know a bit on the main lines

2...cxd4 3.Nf3 g6 4.c3 dxc3 5.Nxc3 Bg7 6.Bc4 e6
A bad move, with important consequences.

7.Nb5 d5 8.exd5 Nf6 9.Bf4 Na6 10.Nd6+ Ke7
Black is already lost after a mere 10 moves. But how to win the full point in style ?

11.Ng5 Rf8 12.00 h6 13.Re1 !!
Black can now win a piece, but all other options also loose quickly.

13...hxg6 14.dxe6 Bxe6 15.Bxe6 fxe6 16.Rxe6+
The final blow !

16...Kxe6 17.Qe2+
With a mate in 16. But my opponent apparently wanted to go home faster...

17...Kd5
Black resigned without waiting for 18.Qc4#.

I'm actually quite proud of this one - I had to sacrifice two pieces. Often it is easy to see the first sacrifice, but then most players "chicken out" when the next sacrifice has to be made. It's just too bad this nice win didn't come from a Blackmar Diemer !

1 comment:

  1. Good game , Guido ! Oh, by the way, it's just as much of an honor to win with the Smith Morra gambit as it is with the BDG. I consider the Smith Morra to be the king side cousin of the BDG.

    Quentin

    ReplyDelete