Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Bogoljubow defense - the most complicated line of defense

The Bogoljubow defense is often named the best defense for black in the Blackmar Diemer. I tend to agree on that, but have to note that the lines are getting horribly complicated. Even my faithfull companion Houdini does not always see the correct assessment and needs to be "taken down the lane".

For example, I have been focusing lately on the lines after 1.d4 d5 2.e4 dxe4 3.Nc3 Nf6 4.f3 exf3 5.Nxf3 g6 6.Bc4 Bg7 7.00 00 8.Qe1 ( The Studier Attack ) Nc6 9.Qh4


Now 9...Bf5 10.h3 is a very difficult continuation, as white attacks on the kingside whilst black will be grapping pawns. Half a year ago, I discovered that the line 10...Bxc2 11.Rf2 Na5 gave black the upper hand as 12.Bxf7+ Rxf7 13.Rxe2 was better for black.

But now I found the correct reply for white : the simple 12.Bf1 forces black to retreat and loose valuable time.


Black only has 12...Bf5 and now 13.Bh6 gives white complete equality


So I continue to believe that the line 9...Bf5 10.h3 gives white an equal game - even if others say differently...

3 comments:

  1. Funny moment, if Bf5 is White, I ensure a full point for White ! If finally Black, only a corrected diag could make my comment unavailable !

    ReplyDelete
  2. This must be the 3-Bishopvariation !

    ReplyDelete
  3. With 2 pawns down and a bishop on f1 which hinders the manoeuvre Taf1 (pression of f6 of course) .. I cannot believe white has an equal game.

    ReplyDelete